Male Fertility Preservation
Similarly as women can freeze their eggs, the same option has been available to men for various reasons since 1953 when the first successful sperm freezing took place (30 years before a successful embryo freezing).
Before sperm freezing can take place, men are required to complete a number of infectious disease screening tests and also abstain from any sexual activity for 2-4 days prior to producing.
We recommend sperm freezing (vitrification) in the following cases:
- If you are considering vasectomy
- In cases of serious medical treatments that can affect your fertility
- If you are having fertility treatment and are not able to produce on the day of your partner's egg collection for any reasons, including travelling or not being able to produce on demand
- A low sperm count or poor quality of the sperm that is deteriorating
- If you work with hazardous substances that may damage your sperm
- Simply because you wish to safeguard your ability to reproduce in the future.
GENNET City Fertility is also able to offer sperm freezing for purposes of shipping the samples to a different clinic (fertility courier services via our in-house trade mark CT shipper), whether within the UK or abroad (as long as the treatment is in line with the HFEA Code of Practice). For more information please visit here.
If you are not sure whether to freeze your sperm, you can also consider booking a Male Fertility Assessment or Semen Analysis first. For more information on these services please visit here.
We know that cost is usually a concern when patients are considering treatments. We aim to be as transparent and helpful as possible and have listed our typical Sperm Freezing costs below. There may be additional service charges should your particular case need them and these would be discussed with you based on your individualised treatment plan prior to you starting a treatment. Please refer to our full price list here for more details or please feel free to contact us.
Sperm Freezing costs
Male Fertility Assessment (MFA)£185.00
Extended semen assessment, Follow up consultation
Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STD) screen£149.00
Required before proceeding with Sperm Freezing in line with the HFEA regulations
Including storage up to a period of 12 months