The Male Fertility Assessment is appropriate for either patients looking to go ahead with treatment or also for patients who are only looking to assess their fertility. The assessment consists of two steps.
- Semen assessment – A measure of a man’s sperm count, motility and morphology. Patients are required to abstain from intercourse/ejactulation for 2-4 days prior to the appointment. The sample is to be produced by masturbation at the clinic.
- Results - You will be informed of your results either by email or over the telephone by one of our Fertility Specialists who will explain the results and any potential changes to your lifestyle which may impact your fertility potential.
Should you have any questions or if you wish to book an appointment, please get in touch.
Why is Male Fertility Assessment important?
In fertility treatment the male is most often ignored and not assessed, only being asked to provide a semen sample for IVF treatment without being assessed. Assessment of the male partner by a specialist is extremely important because up to 7% of men have fertility problems and a male factor is present in 50% of couples seeking fertility treatment.
Male partner assessment by a specialist will allow:
- Treatment of some conditions to allow the couple to conceive naturally
- Diagnose diseases that in addition to causing infertility would have a serious negative impact on the male partner’s health such as hormonal problems and testis cancer.
- Diagnose genetic disorders that in addition to causing infertility may cause birth defects in the offspring.
- Improve success rate of IVF treatment.
- Downgrade fertility treatment for example by improving semen parameters the couple may have artificial insemination instead of IVF